Register! HASTAC 2010: Grand Challenges and Global Innovations Conference
HASTAC is delighted to announce the HASTAC 2010: Grand Challenges and Global Innovations Conference. Held April 15-17, 2010 and hosted by the Institute for Computing in Humanities, Arts, and Social Science (I-CHASS) at the University of Illinois, HASTAC 2010: Grand Challenges and Global Innovations will be a free, entirely virtual event held in a multiplicity of digital spaces instigated from sites across the globe.
This years event will focus on grand challenges and global innovations in the form of technologies, research, teaching, and inquiry that can be leveraged across personal, physical, geographical, institutional, disciplinary, and organizational boundaries. HASTAC 2010 seeks to ask: what are the influence(s) of virtual spaces that can transcend boundaries to impact global innovations? How will the next generation of digital technologies alter personal, physical, geographical, institutional, disciplinary, and organizational boundaries? What are the grand challenges in humanities, arts, and sciences that will shape the next generation of global innovation?
The preliminary schedule is now available.
In the spirit of including digital innovators from across the globe, HASTAC 2010 will feature keynote events hosted at research centers from across the globe during the conference. Confirmed virtual hub participants include:
- Georg-August-Universitt Gttingen (GAUG, Germany)
- Kings College London (KCL, UK)
- Laboratrio Nacional de Computao Cientfica (LNCC, Brazil)
- The Advanced Digital Sciences Center, Fusionopolis (Singapore)
- El Centro Nacional de Alta Tecnologa (CeNAT, Costa Rica)
- National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA, USA)
- Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC, USA)
- The Center for Computation and Technology, Louisiana State University (CCT, USA)
- The Center for Computational Sciences University of Kentucky (CCS, USA)
- The National University Community Research Institute (NUCRI, USA)
- John Hope Franklin Center, Duke University (JHFC, USA)
- The Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC, USA)
- The Institute for Multimedia Literacy, University of Southern California (IML, USA)
- The University of California Humanities Research Institute (UCHRI, USA)
- The Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities (MITH, USA)
- The University of California, Berkeley Tele-Immersion Lab (UCB, USA)
- The New York City College of Technology (CITYTECH, USA)
- The Berkman Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University (BCIS, USA).
To foster innovation in research, HASTAC 2010 will feature special sessions on:
- Young scholars where undergraduate and graduate students can present works in progress and receive support and feedback from the HASTAC community.
- Disciplinary pedagogy where participants can explore the meaning of global innovation with the teaching of digital humanities, arts, and sciences.
We will be using Google Wave as a collaborative space for participants to discuss this years presentations. To sign up for a free Google Wave account, please visit wave.google.com We encourage you to sign up no later than April 10, 2010, to ensure that your account is active in time to participate in the conference.
HASTAC 2010 will also host events in Second Life. Second Life is a free 3D virtual world where users can socialize, connect and create using free voice and text chat. Visit www.secondlife.com to register for your free account and to begin building your avatar.
Register for the Conference
To be part of this free "all-virtual event", go to http://nucri.nu.edu/hastac/ and register. HASTAC 2010 will launch at 9 am CST on April 15th. Beginning at 9 am, you can be a virtual attendee by clicking any presentation link in our conference schedule: http://www.ichass.illinois.edu/HASTAC_Schedule.html. Presenters will be available during their scheduled time to answer questions on Google Wave.
Points of Contact
Institute for Computing in Humanities, Arts, and Social Science
National Center for Supercomputing Applications
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
1205 W. Clark St., MC-257
Urbana, Illinois 61820
firstname.lastname@example.org with HASTAC 2010 in the Subject Line
More information will be made available at http://ichass.illinois.edu/hastac2010